No new year resolution: this is the resolution I make every year. But this year I want to set myself some goals when it comes to my craft and business. You may not be interested in them and I am sorry you have to read them. But if I post them here, I will be under a bit more pressure to reach them. So here we go.
In 2012 I learnt an awful lot of tricks and techniques:
- How to felt wool (with washing machine, with needles and with soap and water) ;
- How to hand print fabric (stencil and screen printing) ;
- How to crochet ;
- Some advanced knitting stuff (lace, short rows, kitchener stitch, etc.) ;
- How to better use my sewing machine (zip, button hole, etc.) ;
- How to take pictures using a light box.
Here are the techniques I would like to learn or to get an introduction to in 2013:
- Letterpress printing because I have been obsessed with this since I was a little girl ;
- Block printing fabric especially because it involves carving soft materials (and because my mum has placed an order with me) ;
- Ceramic – I would love to make my own cereal bowls and large tea cups ;
- Picture editing with Photoshop: my product pictures often lack light and crispiness ;
- Traditional embroidery stitches (French knot, stem stitch, chain stitch, etc.): the drawing of the thread on a light fabric really appeals to me and it is an other way to play with colours, which I love ;
- Patchwork and quilting: I have this fantasy of replacing all the dull fleece blankets in the house with home made and colourfull quilts (it may take a bit more than one year, I know) ;
- Drawing: this one should be first on the list because drawing is the thing I need to do when designing a product though I am only badly self taught and I feel it is holding me and my business back.
We’ll talk again at the beginning of 2014 to see if I made it. What about you readers? Are you the resolution type? Any fancy or funny ones you want to share here?